Thursday, April 2, 2009

Misanthropology and other tales

Allo le monde! (Hello World!)
It has taken some time for me to update this, but I find myself with a half hour of spare time on my hands-not a regular occurence. I have not been able to decide exactly what to focus on in this entry, so I have decided to mention everything in a shortened blurb.

I.
I have taken to eating a lot more than usual as of late, or at least it feels this way. I would be concerned, except it tastes so, so good. I'm still sticking to my 95% veganism, so what harm am I really doing? Actually I am curious about this influx. It must be psychological. Or hormonal. Or perhaps I am simply hungry. :takes large bite of garden burger:

II.
Why are people afraid of impassioned discussion? I feel that I have recently encountered multiple instances where people are trying to keep discussions from getting flustered, or heated. WHY? Our emotions give us power, and only when we care about something strongly will we fight for it. What is so wrong about even remotely getting worked up in a discussion and fighting for ideas, ideals, and ignoring consensus until an honest one is reached? I think there is this fear of offending an other that needs to be disregarded--in any important discussion, people will get offended. It's the nature of the beast. As long as we're not personally attacking anyone, the offense that will be taken will be impersonal--people will be offended that their ideas are deconstructed, but so what? Welcome to adulthood. It will happen to all of us, and that's the only way we can reach any reasonable conclusion. I just think it's foolish to try to keep everyone's temper and excitement at a stagnant level. And let me say--I'm not talking full fledged tantrums or screaming. Obviously, that behavior would be out of line. But in my recent experience, any argument that became slightly heated and tense was treated like a code red, which is simply ridiculous. We're college students, we're not kindergarteners. Is anyone really going to cry and pout if their idea doesn't work? If someone is, then please leave the discussion (and possibly college) and come back when you've grown up a wee bit, deary. If someone says something that provokes a response from me, I'm not going to wait 30 seconds to process their comment--I've already processed it, and I've got something to say to expound or contradict. Don't cut me off when I'm simply furthering a needed conversation. We're not Carebears. We aren't obligated to be all chill and huggy. We can be respectful without walking and talking on tiptoe. I'm not attacking anyone specifically--I've just noticed this phenomenon in a lot of my classes, and it's really "gotten my goat." So give me back my goat.

III.
The Weepies, The Bird and the Bee, and Gregory and the Hawk are all excellent bands, newly discovered by yours truly, and I'd like to pass them on. I discovered The Weepies a while back, but I've now heard more of their songs, thus falling deeper in love.

IV.
I've become more and more fascinated with sociology and anthropology as of late. Talking to Alex at lunch today, we decided we should combine my current irritation for people's bizarre tendencies with my desire to study individuals, thus coming up with a new field: Misanthropology. The study of human beings that are hard to like--we (Alex and myself) would cover a wide spectrum of the human race, objectively deciphering what it is exactly about person A, F, and Z that makes them unlikable. I think it's gonna be big. Stay tuned.

V.
In same discussion, we concluded that South Park is Brechtian.

VI.
That is all.

VII.
I prefer to end on a seven.

1 comment:

  1. 1.)I would like to attend your school and earn a doctorate in misanthropology, please.
    2.) I look forward to fighting with you and offending you tomorrow at One World, 2:00 p.m.
    3.) I am a carebear and all chill and huggy all of the time.
    4.) #3 is a lie. I'm chill but not huggy.

    ReplyDelete