Monday, February 9, 2009

Re: "The Kotex Diaries"

For my Topics in Sexuality class, we have started "Part Two" of our text book (a text book cleverly titled Sexuality) and the first personal essay was entitled "The Kotex Diaries" chronicaling (that is spelled wrong I'm positive) the author's encounter with menstruation.

The essay is fascinating, but also sad. The story isn't terribly shocking--the story of a young girl who had to learn everything she could about her body from her rather promiscuous (sp?) friend Sue G instead of her mother--her mother who threw a pad at her and called it a day. I know friends of mine have had similar experiences. A pamphlet and a pad, and the parent felt they had done their job.

There are so many ties between the way we receive information about sexuality and our bodies and how we go on to think about both issues in our adulthood. Parents who are so afraid of telling their children about the natural progression of their bodies usually are afraid 1. because it's uncomfortable for them to talk about (most likely because it was uncomfortable for *their* parents to talk about) and 2. because of a belief that education will lead to their children "knowing about such things" and "experimenting."

Well, in the case of the author of "The Kotex Diaries", she still learned the information withheld from her, but she learned the facts from what may or may not have been a reliable source (her peer.) And incorrect information is bound to lead to more negative results than thorough facts on sexuality and puberty. I'll admit to being a bit "narrow minded" on this issue--I simply cannot see how anyone would disagree with this. How can anyone--for religious reasons or what have you--really believe that withholding information will keep children from learning and experiencing and touching and exploring what is biologically impossible to prevent? (Insert full discussion of my dislike for foolish taboos surrounding masturbation.)

But after reading this essay, along with the feelings and opinions listed above, I have to admit one thing--

I was lucky.

I know my mother may not read this blog, but I would like to truly thank her. I received about 5 books on puberty, including one particularly progressive book-- "It's Perfectly Normal." This book was accurate, thorough and did not try to pull a proverbial veil over my eyes. In fact, this book wholeheartedly taught that masturbation, different body shapes, homosexuality, and sex itself were all natural, normal and healthy things. I know my father shared these opinions, but as my mother is female like myself, she was the predominant educator, if you will. And she passed with flying colors.

I will always be grateful to both my parents for never withholding any information--information on sexuality, health, and anything and everything else. My father said to me once, "There is no book in this world that you are not allowed to read."

Thanks Mom and Dad.

1 comment:

  1. Hey sarah, good deal. I mean, I don't have a uterus, so this particular situation has never come up for me, but I agree with what you say. Our puritanical fear and discomfort about the body, particularly the sexy bits, creates alot of unhealthy situations in our culture. I mean, biologically, or drive to mate, to feel good, to bond with other animals, is a lot older and stronger than our intellect, and deffinately more powerful than empty social taboos. So when we're told one thing, but feel another (and see another acted out in the world) that creates a real disconect. It's right out unhealthy. I'm glad your folks did good by you. Hopefully we'll do the same to our little ones someday - not you and me together, of course :) the collective we. Keep on rockin'.

    ReplyDelete